The breasts of the ducks are considered to be the most delicious meat. However, to get the most out of the taste, it is necessary to select the right duck for cooking. Here are some tips to select the right duck for cooking.
What kind of ducks are good for meat?
Larger ducks are good for meat. However, it might be difficult to find their size when they are sold as duck jerky.In such cases, look if it is shiny.
The duck meat that is red in color does not mean it is the best. They should spring back if pressed against with a finger. This tells the freshness of the duck meat.
Selecting from the types
There are certain ducks that are good in laying eggs, some are good for decorating the home, others are good to be grown as pets. Certain ducks are grown for their meat. Always choose such duck jerky to make the meal delicious
1. Always look for the expiry date before buying
2. The shelf life of duck meat is 1 to 3 days if it is raw. The shelf life of cooked duck meat is 7 to 10 days
3. Check if it is giving out a foul smell. Never place the meat close to the nose while sniffing.
4. Never store them in the fridge for more than 1 or 2 days
5. Never buy duck meat that has a greenish patchon the top.
6. Baking soda is a good cleaner to get rid of foul smells.
7. Some duck jerky form greyish layers over their surfaces when they begin to rotten.